Flourless Chocolate Cake with Stargazer Ganache
· 1 Cup of heavy cream
· 8 ounces of bittersweet or gourmet dark chocolate (http://stores.mayachocolatesonline.com/StoreFront.bok) 70% cocoa.
· 2 ounces of Stargazer Cabernet Sauvignon
· Whipped cream (make your own or use Redi Whipp) before serving.
Preheat over to 375°F
· 6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
· 1/4 Cups of granulated sugar
· 6 large eggs, separated
· 5 Tablespoons of instant espresso
· 6 Tablespoons of Dark Chocolate (Dutch cocoa) powder.
· 6 Tablespoons of Stargazer Cabernet Sauvignon
· 1 1/2 Cups of toasted almonds (blanched)
· All-purpose flour to dust the pan
· Butter and flour the cake pan ( I use a pan with removable bottom). Set aside until needed.
· Melt the butter slowly. Once melted whisk in the sugar and egg yolk until a creamy yellow consistency is attained.
· Place in a ‘Bain Marie’ (double boiler) and allow to cook while whisking for 5 minutes. Do not allow to scramble...it should look like smooth yellow ribbon.
· Whisk in the cocoa powder, coffee, and cabernet (very slowly-alcohol liquids prevent emulsion to take place).
· Add the almonds and remove from heat and continue to stir until smooth.
· Transfer the cake mixture to a mixing bowl and set aside.
· In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks.
· Fold the meringue into the cake mixture gently, do not stir.
· Pour the batter into the prepared buttered and floured pan.
· Bake until the sides separate from the pan. Use a toothpick in the center to determine doneness.
· Baking time is about 30 minutes in a convection oven.
· Remove from oven, let cool for about 40 minutes.
· Flip cake into a cake dish, refrigerate (do not freeze)
· In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream over medium heat.
· Allow to simmer, slowly add the Stargazer Cabernet Sauvignon
· Remove from heat.
· Add chocolate (8 ounces, chopped) and stir gently.
· Once silky smooth, pour over refrigerated cake.
· Use whipped cream to decorate before serving, Add fruit garnish if desired.