Beef Medallions Garlic Mashed Potatoes And Sauté French Cut Green Beans
1998 Simpson Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
This holiday season impress your friends with a simple and elegant meal of Beef Medallions over a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and sauté French cut green beans.
Recipe: This is designed for four servings.
- Cook potatoes over medium heat until tender but firm. Add salt to taste just before draining. Drain and return to pot and cover until ready to mash. Take half a head of garlic and gently smash with wide part of chef’s knife (edge away from your hand), discard skins. Cook garlic over medium heat in a skillet until golden brown. Incorporate the garlic and potatoes and then add 1/4 Cup of butter and 1/2 of sour cream. Mash, cover and sat aside until ready to serve.
- For beef medallions use a heavy skillet on high heat. When a drop of water dances on the skillet, it’s hot enough! I use a teaspoon of butter, let it melt on the skillet than wipe with a paper towel. Place the medallions of beef one at a time on the skillet for two minutes per side if you want medium rare. Move cooked medallions to a warmed plate and place in warm oven or warming drawer.
- Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of the ‘98 Simpson Vineyard Cab to the skillet and allow to cook down to about half. Add the remainder butter, let the butter melt and scrape up the bits of flavor; cook down until liquid coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove skillet from heat, return beef medallions to skillet, return to stove top and heat beef lightly, 1 minute or so; remove medallions of beef from skillet serve.
- While the wine and butter is reducing, heat up a medium size skillet for the French cut green beans. Use about one tablespoon of virgin olive oil and add to the heated skillet. Toss the green beans with the olive oil (you can add more oil if desired) until tender but firm. Good rule of thumb, when the greens turn bright green they’re ready. I sometimes add slivered almonds after toasting them in the oven. -Time to plate or place on serving platter. Plate mashed potatoes in center, the beef medallions over half of the potatoes towards the side and the French cut green beans on the opposite side. Use your favorite garnish, mine is Italian Parsley. If you have any sauce left, pour over beef medallions.
- Top with garnish and Enjoy!